Friday, January 21, 2011

High School Memories /Prom

One of my awesome, nerd friends that I recently met IRL just brought an interesting thing up on twitter that made me think. Apparently people are telling her that she needs to go to prom and experience at least one High School party before she graduates. This made me think about my own High School experiences. My senior year, I was hardly even at my high school. I was taking classes for dual credit at my community college and was only taking a few required classes. Because of me not being at my high school that much, I was more isolated. I didn't really know or really care what was going on at my high school. I was focused on finishing up and moving on. However, despite this fact, I still tried to do anything I could that I hadn't before. I wanted to make my Senior Year memorable. I went to the Homecoming Dance,Parade, Game,everything that I could. Half of the time I didn't enjoy it all that much but at least I went. For instance, the Homecoming Football Game. I am not a Football fan at all but I went for the experience and I was happy I did. The same thing when it came to Prom.
Now for Prom, I wasn't entirely that excited about it to begin with, especially when I learned that all my friends had dates and I didn't (not that I wanted one really as evidenced by my previous blog. I just wasn't interested). Still they were my friends and it was something that you get to experience once, so I went. It was nice because my parents helped make the experience more memorable for me. My mom helped me find a dress and she took me to get my hair done and both of them took me for a nice dinner someplace. I appreciate all they did for me and I'm glad they did it so I could experience Prom.

However, the experience wasn't a very cheerful one for me. In fact, it was horrible. I hated it. The music was horrible, my friends were too busy with their dates, I felt awkward being around them anyways since I didn't have a date; just overall the experience wasn't that great. I look back on it now and still feel that is was horrible but in a way I'm glad that I went. At least I got the experience despite the fact that it wasn't very postive.

I do have this to say to High School Seniors (Nerdy ones like I was) regarding things like Prom: Go and experience what you can. Even if it turns out to be horrible and you'd never want to experience it again, at least you can say you experienced it. Your last year of high school should be made memorable. You'll only get to experience it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment