Monday, May 9, 2011

Texas Drivers

I'll admit it I'm not the world's greatest driver and I don't try to be. In fact if anything, I'm overly cautious sometimes. My brother even comments sometimes that I drive like an old lady.  I'm just not a very confident driver and especially when driving in a bigger city than I'm used to. In fact, I panic sometimes when I'm not sure where I'm going and I'm driving in Dallas.

Texas drivers annoy me. There are just certain things that I can't stand. Being from New Mexico, I'm sure I do things that annoy Texas drivers too.  There are 3 things that since moving to Texas, have really bothered me about Texas drivers.

First of all, Texas drivers don't signal when changing lanes! OMG! This annoys me so much. Is using your turn signal a sign of weakness in Texas? It seems like practically all the drivers I've seen while traveling don't signal whenever they change lanes. It's lucky that I'm a pretty defensive driver and can see them but sometimes they come out of nowhere. Now to say I always signal would be lying a bit. I occasionally don't signal but it's usually only when not very many  people are behind me.  But really, not signaling? Why? Is it like some rule in Texas that when changing lanes on the highway,you don't signal?

Second thing about Texas drivers that annoy me is the fact that they get in the wrong lane when turning! There is a particular intersection back in Denton where this happens at a lot and I always have to be careful when I'm trying to turn. Locust Street is a one way street and turning left onto University Dr. has 2 lanes. One lane only turns left. The other lane turns left or goes straight. I always get into the lane that turns left/goes straight and turn into the far right lane on University Dr.  It never fails that someone gets into the lane that only turns left and then when turning they change into the far right lane and usually they turn into one of the strip mall or the CVS pharmacy located right after turning onto University.  If you need to turn into one of these areas right after turning, then why didn't you get into the lane that turned into the far right lane to begin with? It just doesn't make sense to me and it's not like it's complicated or anything.  I just don't understand it.

The third thing is something that also annoys someone else I know is what is referred to as the "Texas turn".  It's when a driver gets out in the middle of an intersection in order to make a turn. Like the other person, I'm also annoyed by this.  I just worry that they'll get hit or that I'll hit them or something. The only thing is that I'm short and have a small mid-size car. Sometimes it's a big pickup truck or SUV or another big car that blocks my view so I can't even see sometimes to make my turn.

So yeah. Texas drivers annoy me. Of course I'm also just not used to them yet or even used to driving in a bigger city than my small hometown.   Texas drivers aren't the worse drivers I'm sure but I'm sure they're not the best either.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete