Monday, August 30, 2010

Geek vs Nerd

So obviously my attempts (more like non-attempts) to do BEDA failed completely. I'll admit now that there were plenty of reasons why BEDA simply did not happen for me though I needn't waste any time explaining them. Moving on shall we then?

Today I'm going to talk about a geek vs nerd. Now first of all, this whole thing started because my older brother has been bugging me to go watch Scott Pilgram ever since it came out in theaters. Now I have honestly just not had the time to go watch the movie. Again, not purposely trying to make excuses or anything. However, between the end of summer, moving, getting back to school, and having company, it's the way it's been. Anyway, my brother has been bugging me and bugging me. He thinks that because I'm a "geek" I should go watch the movie and that I will enjoy it. He's even gone so far as to say that until I watch the movie, that I turn in my "Geek Card". However, there is a problem I have with this. First off, I don't consider myself a "geek" at all. To me a "geek" is someone who is into more like video games and more science fiction stuff. Not saying that a "nerd" doesn't also like that stuff but still it's different when it comes to being a "geek" vs. being a "nerd". I honestly consider myself a "nerd". I AM a "nerd". From my personal opinion (and I'm sure I could find people who agree with me) I'm more "nerdy" than "geeky". Thanks to Hank and John Green of the vlogbrothers, I have embraced this about myself and proudly call myself a nerd (NERDFIGHTERS!!). But I still wonder. What is it exactly that defines if you are a "geek" or a "nerd"? I know that there's overlap there. Like I said though, I'm not a "geek". I can't even think of myself as being "geeky". Nerdy yes, geeky no. Reading online definitions don't help much either. Now basing the two on my brother and his family, I could definately say that my older brother is more "geek" than "nerd". Same with my nephew. However, my sister-in-law could almost be half and half. However I think she's more "nerd" (being mainly because she's really smart).

So this is my question to anyone who reads this (which isn't really anybody but me). How do you define a "geek" vs. a "nerd"? What do you define yourself as and why?

1 comment:

  1. Geek, to me, implies technical stuff (computers, programming, etc.). Nerdiness is just having an extreme passion for a topic. So, for instance, one person could be nerdy about knitting, while someone else could be nerdy about soccer. If a person is nerdy about computers, or nerdy about video games, or something like that, then they're a geek. At least that's how I see it.

    ReplyDelete