Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Future Librarian type

With the big movie release for The Hunger Games just around the corner (March 23rd!), I've been trying to finish reading the book in preparation for not only the movie but also an event. Next week, the day before the movie release, the North Branch library is having a little celebration. Their will be trivia and games and all sorts of things for the teens relating to The Hunger Games. I'm quite excited about it.

So in a conversation with one of the library staff today I was telling her how I'm trying to finish at least the first book in the series before the event takes place so I felt more clued in and knew more about what was going on.  The book has certainly been a conversation starter for me!

In the conversation, it was brought up how I don't necessarily have to have read the book in order to put on a program relating to it. The person pointed out how a Harry Potter Party event had taken place and the librarian in charge hadn't read any of the books or seen any of the movies.  Besides it's mostly the teens that are part of the Teen Advisory Board that plan the events and help run some of them. The librarian just really has to get the stuff and make sure things are running smoothly. At least at this particular library. 

Now I know  I don't HAVE to read the popular books but I WANT to. I don't want to be the type of librarian that puts on book programs without having read the book first. It's not me! I feel obligated as a future librarian to read books like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and yes, even Twilight. All these popular Teen/YA and Children's books.  For me, it doesn't make sense not to read the books and know what's going on. It's not the type of Youth Services Librarian I want to be. I  want to be able to talk about such book with Teens and Children. 

It makes me feel like I'd be more credible as a Youth Services Librarian if I've read or attempted to read a popular book series. Even if I don't necessarily like a particular book series  (Twilight). At least I'd be able to discuss it with those Teens who ask me questions about it.

And I'll certainly get questions! I realize that I won't be to read EVERY single YA or children's book. But it's to my advantage to keep up with the current trends in books.  It'll help me in designing programs and selecting which books to purchase.

I want to be the type of librarian that Teens and Children will respect and love to come visit and have book discussions with.  So for me reading and keeping up with popular book series isn't a chore. It's a challenge that'll help me to become a great Youth Services Librarian someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment