Friday, October 7, 2011

Texas State Fair Adventures

I want to write this up so I don't ever forget and so I can look back when I feel lonely and remember how much fun I had.

Yesterday afternoon, I met up with my Oklahoma friends (and collab channelmates!). I had a session yesterday and therefore was unable to do anything until after 11.  My friends, Travis and Erin came up to  Denton and we went and had lunch at J&J's Pizza on the Square. Then it was fair time!! We got to the fair and thanks to it being Coke-a-cola Thursday were able to get admission for only $5! (You brought an empty 12oz soda bottle).  So much fun was had. We walked around for a bit and eventually ended up at the Midway. We all bought some tickets to go on some rides. My friend Travis and I went on the Crazy Mouse coaster. So much fun!Although afterwards, I did feel like I was a bit drunk and couldn't walk straight for a little bit(It did spin a bit). But it wasn't too bad.  Afterwards, we walked around some more looking at some of the midway games and other things. We visited a greenhouse and cooled off for a bit. We played a throw a ball into a cup game where Travis won a small prize for Erin and a beer bottle ring toss game. Our friend Kate called to let us know she was on her way. While we waited, we visited one of the exhibit halls.

Kate arrived and we met her at "Big Tex", a big statue man thing.  Then the fun really began!! We all headed back to the Midway area and went on the Texas Star Ferris wheel. It was fun. After that we decided to get some munchies before riding anything else. I didn't get anything to eat yet, just in case but I did get some lemonade to drink since I was thirsty and hadn't had anything to drink in awhile.

We sat at a table near a couple of rides while we enjoyed our munchies. Afterwards,  Kate and I went on a mini-coaster called The Windstorm. WOW! It was fun but also a bit more intense than I thought. But still so much fun! After that, Kate and Travis decided to go on a spinny ride where you spun around and then the floor dropped out from under you but you don't fall because you're stuck to the wall from spinning so fast. There was a live video feed that I learned about afterwards. I was curious about this so I watched as another group of people went on the ride. It was certainly insane! Not for me!

Kate and Erin decided they wanted to go on the Swings and so we went over to that ride and watched. I should mention here that I brought my video camera and had been filming off and on all afternoon since we arrived. Also taking pictures.My camera had also been passed around between us.  So I filmed while Kate and Erin were on the swings. 

I used to love the Swing ride but can't do it or really any spinny ride because I get motion sickness. I would be miserable afterwards and couldn't enjoy the rest of the fair. If I took medicine to prevent it, I would be able to do more spinny rides but then I would be walking around like a zombie since the medicine would make me drowsy. So the simple solution is to just avoid them entirely.  I'm talking about really really spinny rides. Things like a carousel don't have that effect on me.

Afterwards we all got something to munch on. I had seen fried coke and decided to try that. We all just got different things and sat at a table just chatting and watching people on the rides. We also spontaneously would burst out singing songs that were playing on the rides. It was then that we decided that we should go karoakeing tonight. So plans are being set to do that.

It was getting dark by this point and the lights were coming on. Everything was just really pretty. We walked around and occasionally would also dance a bit. We played a couple more midway games and finally we decided that we wanted to ride the carousel.That was our last ride for the night. While in line, we  heard the song "Dynamite" playing and sang along and danced a bit to it. Got some weird looks from people but went ahead and did  it anyway.The carousel was fun but I realized like 2 secs after the ride had begun moving that I had gotten a stationary horse! Darn it! Oh well! I still enjoyed it anyways and it was actually kinda helpful since I was filming us.  Afterwards, we find a grassy area with some white rocking chairs and collapsed into them. We were tired of walking around.

After a little while we decided to find the light show thing that was supposed to happen. Turns out it was a light show thing with lights over the midway area. We also saw some occasional fireworks shooting off. We eventually ended back up in a sitting area around Big Tex. My friends all have Ipod touches or smartphones and were able to find Internet and got on it (This is totally normal for us. We live on the Internet). I don't have a smartphone or an iPod touch so I just sat and watched for awhile. They did that for a bit while we just sat around. (We were dead tired and our feet were tired to from walking). I was interested in getting a corn dog in honor of Hank Green so we found a booth and I got my corndog. We ventured in another direction just chatting and looking at things. Ended up at a little barnyard area with some animals: pigs, bunnies, puppies, and kittens. Most were asleep but it was still nice looking at them. We then stumbled across a little dance party going on. They were playing the Cupid Shuffle and people were actually dancing it. Kate, Erin, and I all joined in and danced while a group of people watched. Then they started playing the Cha-Cha Slide and Travis joined in. Just a random dance party and it was so fun!

After that we just continued walking and headed out. We had so much fun and we were all tired. Kate dropped us off at the place we parked and we parted ways. Travis and Erin brought me back to Denton and then drove back to Dallas.

I was exhausted and sore but it was so worth it.

That was my State Fair adventures. I had a great time. I needed this so much. It's been awhile since I just got out and had fun with friends being that I don't have any friends here. Yesterday meant so much to me especially with everything that's been going on my life.

Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment