Monday, October 3, 2011

More complicated and emotional than I originally thought

I seem to be blogging every time I have a counseling session now. Well afterwards I mean. I find that to be pretty interesting.

So last week at my session, it was discussed how I might want to seek more long term counseling at the Psychology Clinic. Well, today was my first appointment; the intake. I'll admit I was nervous because this is different for me. It's a different experience. It's more involved and such than the counseling I'm currently in. This is supported by the amount of paperwork I had to fill out. Lots of information. My appointment wasn't actually until 11 but because I had a lot of paperwork to fill out, I had to be at the clinic by 10. Of course, the buses weren't running on time and I almost didn't make it in time.

A lot of things were discussed and questions answered. As it was just the intake appointment, they just wanted to get a basic idea of the problems I'm having. I'll find out within a week more specifics such as who my therapist will actually be.

I've noticed that I'm very emotional in many sessions. I broke down twice today. It was justifiable for why I did today though. However, I can't help but think that I'm just an emotional person. At least when it comes to talking about things. I've broken down almost every single time I've been to a session this semester. It happened quite a few times last semester as well.  I try to tell myself beforehand that I won't get emotional yet it still happens. There are a few times where I've managed not to break down but it doesn't happen very often. It's not just when I've been in Denton either. When I was in counseling in Oklahoma, I broke down a couple times there as well. I certainly did in the first few sessions and then it got better.  That doesn't seem to be the case so much this time.

I'll admit that I'm a bit tired of it. I wish I could just explain things  without getting emotional over them. But then again, I guess it helps being emotional. Perhaps it explains a lot. I don't really know.

What I want to know is why I get so emotional every time? Maybe it's because everything finally catches up with me and I don't know how else to deal with it or something? Whatever the reasoning, I just hope one day I can get through a  session without getting too emotional.

Another thing I've discovered by going to counseling is the fact it seems I keep discovering more and more things to talk about. It seems as though the more I think and talk about things, the more problems and things I come up with that relate to my current situation. It's almost as if every little thing that bothered me when I was younger or was a problem then, has contributed to everything going on with me now.

I answered a lot of questions today and gave a lot of information. Yet, I can't help but feel as though I'm just barely scratching the surface of my problems. I feel like it would take days to explain everything that has ever happened to me that could relate to my current situation. Yet even then, I don't think I'd get through everything. There are things I know I should probably have mentioned today but I didn't. Things I didn't think about until I got done. Things that I've mentioned in some of my blog posts but never really thought about mentioning in person.

For instance, I didn't mention about what I thought in 8th grade. I know that's probably important but I found I couldn't really mention it at the moment. I mean at some point, I will mention it to them. I'll admit that I'm a little concerned what bringing this up might mean. Also some of the other things that occurred when I was younger. For instance, shoving people because they made me upset. Things like that. Look I know being a kid is different than being an adult but still.

I can't help but think of everything going on in my life now and how little things from when I was younger could relate. How my being an outcast in my groups of friends could be the reason I don't have many friends now or how I can't seem to make friends. How I was made fun of for not fitting in. How I've always seemed to felt like an outsider. Things like that.

See what I mean? My problem seem to go deeper than I originally thought. Yet it all seems to relate and make sense.

I know it's just the first session and that I can't explain everything in one session. I know as time goes on, things will come up and be discussed. It's just the intake session to get a basic knowledge of what's going on. I can't expect things to be fixed after just one session. I understand this. It's going to take time. Who really knows how long.

Things are a lot more complicated than I originally thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment