Sunday, August 5, 2012

Memorable

I'm not popular. I'm not the smartest person. Nor am I the prettiest. I'm not a "star" in any sense meaning I don't seem to have that starpower quality. I'm a bit quiet and shy. In fact I'd have to say that I'm a plain, simple type of person.

A plain jane type of person.

And yet I also seem to be pretty memorable.

While at Walmart yesterday, a lady approached me remembering me from when I volunteered at the library with her daughter. She remembered me helping her and her daughter out with information.  We talked for awhile with her telling me about her daughter and me telling her about what I'd been up to.

This isn't the first time that someone has remembered me. It happens a lot. Especially when you live in small town and have a well known father AND Uncle who also live in the same town. My dad was a PE teacher in the public schools for a long time. He also coached track at the local high school for awhile. My uncle also taught at the high school for some time.  He taught History and coached football. So basically I was already known before I was even born. That and the fact that I had an older brother before me in the public schools.

Still though. Many people remember me even now. Teachers especially remember me. I was generally one of the good students and did well. They just knew that I would go far in my education. It doesn't surprise them that I'm going for my Master's or that I'm nearly done.  While they're certainly happy for me, it's not a big surprise for them. They just knew.

Yet, what is interesting about me being memorable is the fact that many of my classmates remember me. They remember me as being very smart and focused in class. Many of them remember me helping them out in class. Mostly math class. They remembered asking me for help and me helping them. The thing is that a lot of these people are people I wouldn't have expected to remember me. I just helped people because that was me.  And yet these people do remember me and apparently
 ask about me. None of them are surprised about where I am in my life either. While many of them are working and didn't complete their education, I have. They knew me as basically being studious and a nerd. I was a nerd. It's that simple. I loved school and learning and just wanted to do well.

It's just surprising to me that people like that remember me. It surprises me just how many people DO remember me. Something about me just is memorable I guess.

I don't try to make myself memorable. I'm just being myself. Is it my name? The fact that I'm related to two well-known relatives? Do I really have a memorable face? Is it my personality?

Whatever the reason, I'm certainly a lot more memorable than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment