Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sorting through childhood

It's come to the point this summer where I have to finally begin sorting through all the boxes filled with papers and other things from my childhood. Ever since moving out in December 2007, these boxes have remained in what used to be my bedroom closet. Every break it's been mentioned how I need to go through the boxes and get rid of stuff but it hasn't really happened until now.

When I have a little over a couple weeks before I head back, I'm forced to get rid of things. Things from my childhood. Things that I probably don't need anymore but don't really know how to get rid of them.

The thing is that I have a hard time getting rid of things. It's hard for me. It's hard going through things from your childhood and deciding to get rid of it. Most of the stuff is school papers that I felt I should keep. I certainly keep my writings from over the years: Poetry, essays, stories. Most of the papers are things that are not saved on a computer somewhere. There's other things too.

How do people do this so easily? Get rid of things so easily? I find it extremely difficult to get rid of things in general.

I can't even being to explain how hard it is for me. In the 2 times I've moved (to Oklahoma and to Texas), it's been horrible. I accumulate things and then can't seem to part with it when the time comes. I don't understand it. It's happened both times and I really don't know how to get over it.

I know I have to get rid of things and truthfully, as of recently, I've been trying really really hard to do so. At least as far as my school paperwork is concerned. I've been trying to go through papers each semester and get rid of the things I'm sure I no longer need.

It's a bit different though when it's childhood things. It's nostalgic. It's part of my childhood that I'm getting rid of. Things that remind me of something. I mean, there's always the memories but it's not the same. 

I know I have to do it though. It's getting time. It has to happen eventually. I have to grow up and move on.

It's going to be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment