Monday, August 26, 2013

Forgiven but not forgotten

Yesterday, my parents and I went to church for Sunday morning service.  Normally we go on Saturday evenings but we had other commitments during that time.

I happened to see a girl who was a Sunday school classmate of mine and who graduated high school the same year I did. Now this girl used to make fun of me. Yes, at Sunday school. She would say things that made me feel bad.

Eventually though, the girl stopped being mean to me apologized but it was too late. I could never trust her again. I couldn't feel comfortable around her ever again. She made me nervous still.

Even though we are both adults now, I can never forget what she did to me. I've mostly forgiven her but still harbor bad feelings because of what she did to me.  It's hard sometimes for me to be nice to her when I'd rather not be. I still feel like avoiding her.

This isn't the first time I've been picked on by others. I used to be picked on when I was going the Recreation Center.

I eventually grew to learn the names of my main tormentors. We didn't go to the same Elementary school but we did go to the same middle and high schools. I remembered them and how mean they had been to me.
They didn't really remember me. Still though, bad memories and feelings toward them remained.

I do forgive these people but at the same time, I can't forget what they did to me. I'm generally nice to them although part of me feels like I shouldn't be because of what they did to me.

They hurt me and made me feel miserable. They contributed to my lack of confidence and having trouble trusting people.

I can forgive them but I will never forget what they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment