Friday, June 10, 2011

Social Life killed the Internet

I find it interesting how every time I come home for break, I spend less time on the Internet. It's not like I don't have access to it or anything because I do.  I'll admit for me it's a bit strange when I realize that I haven't been on Tumblr or tweeted much within the past 3-4 weeks now.  I still frequent Facebook and really that's the only Internet site I visit often now. I don't even visit YouTube that much anymore. I'm way behind on my subscriptions (although I'm slowly trying to watch them all again).  I feel like I barely know what's going on anymore with my Internet friends since I don't really visit the Internet much anymore.

I think a lot this has to do with the fact that I'm with family and therefore have people to socialize with. I love my family a lot. I believe that because I'm alone in my apartment and don't really have any friends there in Denton that I would rather spend all my time online with my URL friends. I consider the Internet to be my only friend sometimes when I'm in Denton. I have some IRL friends but they live in Norman so it's not like I can just call them up and they can come over or I go over there any time of day I want. It usually takes some advanced planning.  Oddly enough, I met my IRL friends through the Internet.


I wish I did have some IRL friends in Denton but I don't. Therefore I resort to the Internet. Even with my IRL friends, we get together and have a great time but somehow we always come back to the internet. Once when we were hanging out together we had our laptops and were looking at stuff online.
I love spending time with people and I do miss the Internet when I'm spending time with my family.  However, it's not as important for me. It's strange but true. I get so far behind on all things Internet that I feel lost and out of the loop when I finally do get online. I have already said that I have issues when it comes to making friends.

It's not like I even have a lot of friends here back home to hang out with. Most of my high school friends/classmates have moved on and I've lost touch with them. Also, the friend I used to hang out with that I met 2 summers ago moved to Portland.  I just mostly spend time with my family. 
This month I've been mostly spending time with my nephew. Since he's 12 and can't go to the Recreation Center camp program anymore, I get to take care of him.

 I love him and love spending time with him. We have fun together and I enjoy it.  So he's been keeping me busy that I usually don't get online until later in the evening after he's finally gone to bed.  Also sometimes in the evenings, he and I have been playing the Wii . So that's been keeping me busy too.

I miss the Internet. I can't deny that.  However, I also enjoy spending time with actual people even if it is just my family. I miss having a social life and not feeling lonely.   I don't want a social life that completely takes me away. Just enough of one that I'm not resorting to the Internet as my only friend. On the other hand, I love my Internet life and don't want to lose that. If I could find a good balance, I think I'd be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment