Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thoughts on Teenage Moms...(Warning: May be controversial)

Tonight at my church we had a Baptismal during the usual 5:30PM mass. It was pretty much any normal Baptismal. I knew the family that was having the baby baptized but didn't think much of it until later when I really got to looking at exactly who the mother of the baby was. Turns out the mother of the  baby was someone who was way younger than me. In fact, the girl is younger than her older brother who just graduated from high school! I'm not going to lie but I was surprised to learn this. Now I'm not going to say that those who attend church or anything are perfect but I still can't helped but be a bit surprised when things like this happen. The family seems to be pretty religious or at least enough that they attend church on a regular basis. I don't attend the same mass as they do since they normally go on Sunday mornings but I've seen them several Sunday's in a row when my parents used to do Sunday morning coffee and donuts.

This isn't the first girl I've known through church to become a mother. The other one happened a little over a year ago. Again, another girl whose family attended church fairly regularly and who was also quite a  bit younger than me.   Although, this one I saw when she was pregnant and I've seen her with the father. In fact, the girl and her (now) husband and son used to come to church but they don't anymore as far as I know. She was a Senior in high school when she got pregnant.  Granted she was practically an adult but still.

I don't consider myself to be a overly religious person. I'm not going to lie but it does surprise me when girls I've known from church get pregnant at a young age. I'm sorry but the fact that they go to church and learn this stuff from their families and still this happens?  It just surprises me is all.

I'm not trying to be judgmental but I'm just stating my views on this. I just don't understand why someone would do this? Why would you mess up your life this way? Look, I'm at least happy that both girls are at least trying to do good by it by coming to  church and having their children baptized but still. I'm bothered by it regardless of it's someone religious or not.  It just really bothers me to see someone I have seen since I little be affected by this. It just doesn't make sense to me. For me it's awkward to see them. I still talk to them and everything but I can't help but want to ask them why? What happened? W(I don't obviously don't but I just get the urge to do so). I guess part of it is rebellion in some cases but still. I just don't understand it is all.

Of course, I'm sure a lot of this stems from my feelings about not being interested in meeting someone and starting a family. I'm really not interested at all at the moment. Right now I'm so focused on achieving my goal of getting a Master's Degree that I'm not even thinking about things like that right now.  It's hard for me just to hear about some of my high school classmates that are married or have kids. As I've stated numerous times before, I know I'm old enough for things like this but it's hard for me to see it that way. I guess I just don't feel anyone my age is ready for kids or marriage even though it's not really that uncommon.

Look I'm not trying to start anything here or anything. I'm just saying my thoughts on something like this is all.


EDIT: Ok so after some research (oh how I love being a library student), I discovered that the girl that had her baby baptized tonight is actually older than I thought. I thought she was the youngest of her siblings but it turns out she isn't. She's about a year older than her brother that just graduated. Apparently she graduated a couple of years ago (2009). So technically she's only a few years younger than me. I'm not going to go back and edit this whole thing now. My thoughts still stand  for a general sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment