Saturday, September 24, 2011

Things on my mind: A mixed blog post

I have a few things that have been on my mind. Things that have been annoying, things I don't get necessarily, and just things.  I guess you could say this post is filled with a lot of different things and will be ranty at times. Fair warning. Also, I might say things that might upset some people so I'm letting you know now.

First off: some things that have been annoying me. I have been trying really hard to become more social and take small steps to do so. However, ever time I try things seem to backfire. Case in point. I have joined the Harry Potter Alliance group on my campus. I figured it deals with Harry Potter and therefore I have a greater chance of making friends. Anyways the first meeting was on August 22 and I went. Not going to lie, I was nervous but I still made myself go and it wasn't that bad. So the next meeting was planned for September 13th. I was eager to go but then it was cancelled or actually postponed until further notice. No biggie.  I got over it. Then on Sunday (18th) plans were set in motion for a Hufflepuff house meetup on campus last night at 8:00PM and ongoing until noon today. Well I was so pumped for this! I even told my counselor about it and he encouraged me. I was making small steps to be more sociable and put myself out there! We were going to have a great time! Stay up all night watching Harry Potter movies and playing Harry Potter Scene It? (1st edition) and just have a great time getting to know one another. But then Thursday night comes along and the event is now moved until the following weekend and other houses are going to be invited. I got over it but at the same time I'm extremely annoyed with the people in charge of this group. I just want them to get their act together and figure out when we're going to meet again. Really it's not easy for me to be sociable and having things planned and then having them cancelled doesn't exactly do me any good. I mean I get nervous about going in the first place and get myself almost worked up over them and then it's a let down when nothing happens. It's just really annoying!!

On a somewhat related note, I basically was unable to go to another event, a dinner, that was scheduled tonight. I was going to go but I was unable to get the address of where it was taking place. I'm not familiar with the Denton area still so unless I have an address, I'm out of luck. I was able to get general directions but what was I going to do once I got there with no address? Just sit around and wait? I don't even know anyone that was going! So I didn't go.

Now this is another thing that is bothering me. I feel as though I'm not making any progress as far as taking small steps to be sociable. It almost seems as though I'm backing out. I assure you it's not intentional and that I intend to go. It's  just things not working out. Still it makes me seem as though I'm not making any progress to fix things. I know I am but still.

I've also been annoyed by people lately on twitter. It's really only one person and lately I just feel like writing mean, nasty, sarcastic replies to some of their tweets. I don't understand where this bitterness or whatever is coming from though. I don't understand it either. I'm not normally this type of person.
But one of the things this person has been endlessly tweeting about lately is their love of The Muppets. They literally are that obsessed about it that they tweet practically once or twice a day about something Muppet-related. They even wrote an essay about them for one of their class assignments! (quite honestly, something I've never done about any of my obsessions). It's gotten to be extremely annoying and I wish I could just tell them to SHUT UP! but I can't. I can't even really complain since I have my own obsessions like that and that sometimes I tweet excessively about them. 

The thing I don't get is why I haven't unfollowed this person. It's not just the tweets that I can't seem to stand, it's the personality of the person too. I've met the person and they seem nice and we have some things in common but something about their personality just really doesn't mesh well with mine.

I guess I don't understand the obsession she has with The Muppets. Actually, I don't understand anyone's obsession. I love The Muppets. I really do. I guess some of the excitement is because a new movie is coming out in November and it's been a really long time since that happened. I plan to go see the new movie and I am excited about it but just not as much as others it seems. I guess I just don't get it. I remember loving The Muppets and watching all the movies when I was younger.  I still love Kermit and Piggy and Fozzie. I watched The Muppet Show Tonight when it was on in the 90s and loved it. I've been to The Muppet Vision 3D in Disney World multiple times. I still love to watch The Muppet Christmas Carol during the holidays and in fact it's one of my all time favorite versions of the story.  So see, I really do love The Muppets. Yet I still don't feel as though I'm as into them as some people are and that is what I guess I just don't understand.  My brother is excited for the new movie. He loves The Muppets too. He and his family dressed up as Muppet characters for Halloween one year (Kermit, Piggy, Swedish Chef).  Today happens to be Jim Hanson's 75th birthday (if he'd been alive) and I'm seeing all these tweets from people saying how much he meant to them and how his death had such an impact on them and I just don't get it. I honestly doesn't mean much to me.  Sure he was brilliant but it doesn't seem to faze me that much for some reason.  I feel as though I should care more but I just really don't for some reason. As much as I like the Muppets, it just doesn't seem to be that much of an obsession for me as it is for others.

I guess I just haven't had the chance to really get that obsessed about them for some reason Which is a bit strange too considering how easily I get obsessed about things. I mean I'm obsessed with Portal and Portal 2 though I've only played the 1st and only recently. I was obsessed with it before I ever started playing the game myself! I'm even obsessed with Doctor Who even though I've only ever watched the first season and have yet to really begin the 2nd.  I just doesn't make sense to me.

Phew! If you've made it this far reading, I applaud you! A lot of things on my mind which is one reason I had to write them all down. It makes it easier to sort them all out and get them off my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment