Saturday, September 17, 2011

Writing is my therapy

Lately I've noticed I'm blogging a lot more than I used to.  I don't know if it's a way for dealing with everything going on in my life or if it's in response to me feeling better about being honest with myself thanks to counseling. Maybe it's both. I'd like to think that counseling has helped get me to write again whether it be actual writing in a notebook or just blogging.

For me, writing is a bit of a therapy. It helps me express how I'm feeling. I feel as though sometimes I can better express myself with words on paper rather than out loud. It helps me make sense of everything that's going on. It helps me remember things both good and bad. It allows me to see how I've changed or not.

Writing is a form of coping for me too and it seems as though that's one of the reasons I've been writing a lot more lately. I'm coping. Coping with a variety of things. Writing as a form of coping isn't something that's new to me.

When I had problems in 8th and 9th grade with my friends and such, I used writing to get through it all. I wrote a lot of poetry because I felt that it was the best way for me to express my feelings.things were rough and as a bit of an angst y teen, writing poetry was a way to cope.  It was also just fascinating to me. I discovered that I was good at writing poetry when I was in 7th grade. It seemed to be the perfect form of expression for me and it was and still is sometimes.

I guess I've really always just liked to write. I've been told I'm good at it too by numerous people: family, friends, and teachers/professors. I just have that ability to express myself in words.

I fear that sometimes I write too much especially when it comes to journaling or blog posts. I can't seem to help it. Whenever I write, I get into it and can't seem to stop myself. It's a thrill for me to write. It's a way for me to share my thoughts and feelings with others.

Writing calms me. Sometimes I get emotional writing about things but that's what makes it so wonderful. Writing truly is a wonderful thing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bookworm, You know you are not alone, right? All those books in the library, on Amazon, etc are by people who turn to writing as a way to both reach in and reach out. Writing is a very cool system for self development. I wrote in a journal for years, and felt all the things you mention, helping me get in touch with and make sense of my feelings and so on. My writing-for-therapy took a huge leap when I realized that if I focus on my attention to write as-if-to-strangers I was forced to organize my inner self in a way that helped me relate to the rest of the world. I believe turning self into story is the best of all self-help-writing. It sounds like you are already using this blog as a way to bridge between your inner world and the rest of us. Thanks for sharing yourself!

    Jerry
    Memory Writers Network

    ReplyDelete