Tuesday, August 9, 2011

RIP Youtube Account

So tonight I received an email and notification regarding a copyright infringement on one of the videos on my old YouTube account.  Now I have a strike against both of my accounts. If I get 2 more, both my accounts will be deleted.

The video in question has been online since 2008.  I haven't even logged into my other account in months! The other account used to be my primary account a long time ago. It was the account I originally joined YouTube with. But then I created a second account and eventually made that account my primary account. I rarely log into my other account anymore.

The other account was one where I created artist specific music videos. I basically took concert footage and original music video footage,  cut them up, added some effects in Windows Movie Maker, and set it all to newer remixes of the original music videos. I even made some videos for songs that never had music videos.  I  never made the videos for profit or anything. I just did it for fun and others enjoyed them.  I always thought that what I was doing was "fair use"especially since I'd seen others doing the same. Apparently I was wrong.



When YouTube really started cracking down on copyright, several of my videos were tagged. However, up until now, none of them were serious. Apparently the third-parties didn't mind what I was doing because my videos were still made available for viewing. Once one of my videos was tagged but then when I went back, the claim or whatever was dropped. Now however, this video has been disabled and a strike on copyright infringement is on both my accounts.

I made the decision tonight to remove all the videos on my other account; removing any chance that another video would get flagged and another strike against me. So that's what I've been doing for the past couple of hours. I had 33 videos up and am now down to 25. This includes a video I made to my subscribers notifying them of what happened.  I'm taking screen caps of all the comments and ratings for memories.

It's not really a big deal for me. As I said, I rarely ever log into my other account anymore. I haven't uploaded any new videos in months. I just don't have time to make any new videos anymore since I'm so busy with school. Also since the copyright crackdown, I've just lost motivation.  It's not worth it anymore. But still, all the work that went into building up my other account with the subscribers and views and everything is a bit heartbreaking.  It was a great account but I think it's time for it to come to an end.  I'd rather be safe than sorry by deleting all the videos and essentially cleaning out my account.

For now, I plan to keep the account. I'm not sure if I'll ever use it again but who knows?

RIP "old" YouTube account. It was great while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment