Sunday, August 21, 2011

Talented but untalented

I am talented. I cannot deny that fact. Everyone has something they are good at and I'm no different.  However, while I admit that I'm talented, I also admit that I'm not THAT talented. While I generally acknowledge that I am talented, I can't help but think and know that there are others out there that are even more talented than I am.

So this is my blog post to both acknowledge and explain away my personal talents.

1.Artist

I love to draw when I can and I'm fairly good at it. I wouldn't by all means say I'm the best artist. I'm far from it. I'm a decent artist I feel.  I was in after school art club in Elementary school and I learned a variety of art techniques. I enjoyed it and did a good job. My artwork was fairly decent. I also took 9 weeks of art in 7th grade.  I enjoy art and I must be fairly good at it because I've won a contest before. I designed a logo for a Youth Rally event and I won. My logo was used for everything at the rally: t-shirts, badges, posters, flyers, etc.  I also designed a logo for a local church retreat during 11th grade. It was my idea but they used it.  So I guess I can say that I can at least design logos for things.

2. Writer
This is truly a talent of mine but I still feel that there are others out thee that are better than me. I've been told that I'm a good writer time and time again by family and by teachers. I've won some writing contests as well.  I've won some essay contests. I've also been told that I'm good at writing poetry. I'm good enough to have had a writer's website open a new section for young adult writers because of me. I've also been good enough to have been asked to contribute a poem for an X-prize exhibit at our Space Museum in NM and have it still on display.  So again, I guess my writing is good too.

3. Musician/Pianist

This is a talent of mine that involved years of practice and hard work.  The thing is that I must have been pretty good at it to keep at it so long.  That or I finally found something I enjoyed enough to work at it and keep going. I almost gave up but I'm glad I didn't now.  I didn't start very young like a lot of pianists. I started when I was in 3rd grade so I was a little late beginning. Still though, I knew as I got older, I got better. At recitals, the younger children would admire me and that's normal. I guess I was also good enough to be the pianist for our church's children's choir and also for the youth group choir. Of course I wasn't that great but people still enjoyed my music anyways.

4. Singer

I'm not going to be on American Idol anytime soon or any of those singing shows. I don't consider myself to be THAT great of a singer. As I've said about most of the other talents, I'm decent. I can sing and I can sing on-key. I was in choir as a child and as a teen. I love singing. Depending on the song, I can be pretty good. Some of the others in youth group choir thought I was one of the better singers and they loved how on one particular song, I just sang really nice.  Basically, I'm not a horrible singer but I'm don't consider myself a great one either.

So these are all the talents that I have and can show something for. I have others and I know that I do.

Also I've noticed how many of them are artistic related. This doesn't really surprise me. It's who I am.  I'm an artistic person and I like that about myself.

I don't see myself winning any talent or singing shows anytime soon or even entering them.  I may not be great or even the best but I enjoy what I do and that's all that should matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment