Monday, April 13, 2009

BEDA Day 11: Chapter 10- TINT addiction

So it's Monday and every Monday evening since I've gotten involved with this, I've been spending waiting for the next video to be posted on YouTube. I'm talking of course about thisisnotom.com. Thisisnottom.com is a type of riddle website for those who don't know. You are given clues that you must solve to move on. Some of the clues are simple and some are more challenging. You can spend hours on a clue and beating your brains out before you realize how simple it really is. It is so much fun however and I have been enjoying it. So much in fact, that I have become addicted to this site.The most interesting part of the whole TINT thing is the story chapters that we are presented each week at the end of the riddles. Each week, we are given a new video clue on YouTube and then we have solve the video clue which leads us to another clue through the thisisnottom website and so on. The number of riddles are short; usually only 2 in addition to the YouTube clue. At the end of the riddles, we are presented with a chapter that is part of a story. Until recently, we did not know who was writing this story but have now learned that John Green is writing the chapters based on emails sent from a girl known only to us as YFN (Your Friend Narrator). Even John Green doesn't know who this girl is. Nor do any of us know if this story is real or fiction. Regardless, each week we are presented with more of the story which is just amazing. By now we TINTer's have learned that once we've reached the Chapter for the week, we are done until next week.

The riddles are challenging and many people have already tried and given up just with the first riddle. However, thanks to some nerdfighters on the ning (and now on the thisisnotforums forum) we meet every Monday night on Alan's blogTV and chat and go through the clues together. Sometimes Alex, the site's creator in also in the chat and occasionally gives hints. It really helps to collaborate on the clues instead of doing them all by yourself. I know that if it wasn't for the help of others, I would never have made it this far on my own. Of course, if you really want to, you can use the spoilers on the forums. But I personally think it's more fun solving them. Sure, it makes my brain hurt sometimes when I can't figure it out but I think that's also part of the fun.

Like most things, I got started with TINT from someone else. Namely Hank Green. In one of his videos he mentioned that he had gotten involved with the site and for a while I wasn't going to get involved thinking I didn't have the time. But I did anyway. The same way I got involved with twitter, dailybooth, and BEDA. Other people were doing it so I did too. (Look at me! I'm a sheep! BAA!) Now, I'm addicted and there's no going back. Sometimes I even have TINT withdrawels. It's fun and can drive me crazy sometimes but still I do it anyways. I subject myself to the torture of the riddles each week.

It's become such an addiction that I've started trying to finish as much homework as possible by Monday evening so that I don't have to worry about it and can dedicate my time to TINT. However, that has not been very successful and I end up procrastinating sometimes because of it. I suggest that you try and get involved because it really is a lot of fun. If you need help, there are lots of nerdfighters more than willing to walk you through.

"My name is Ronda. and I'm a TINT addict"

No comments:

Post a Comment