Wednesday, April 29, 2009

BEDA Day 27: Chapter 26-Summer Job Hunted

I mentioned earlier how I will possibly going home for the summer but that it all depended on if I could get a job or not. Well, I'm definitely going home for the summer. The question still remains though on whether or not I'll have a job when I get home.

I've applied for at least 4 job positions back home and still haven't heard anything back from any of them. 3 of the positions I applied for are with the City and are at the Recreation City and the 4th position is a Teacher's Aide for Shuttle Camp at the NMMSH (New Mexico Museum of Space History).

If I was to get a job with the Recreation Center, I would have the possibility to work with the Summer Camp there and be able to be around my nephew. My nephew will be spending the month of June with us and will be going to the Summer Camp. I wouldn't be in the same group as my nephew of course and probably not even the same age group. However, it would be easier because I'd just take him to work with me and bring him back since we'd both be at the camp together. I'm not sure which job position being one of the Camp Group leaders would be though. The 3 positions I applied for are Recreation Aide, Recreation Clerk, and Recreation Assistant. I don't know much information about any of the positions. In fact the only things I really know are that they are all at the Recreation Center and they are all seasonal. So basically when I was applying for them, I was doing it blindly. The plus side is that if I was to work at the Recreation Center and got the position as one of the Camp Leaders, I'd hopefully be able to go on field trips with the kids. Although, I might not actually be able to actually participate in some of the activities (for instance if they go to Wet 'N Wild, I'd probably have to stay dry and not play), I think it would still be fun.

The 4th position I applied for is a Teacher's Aide for Shuttle Camp. Now I already have some idea of this job position. Because I attended Shuttle Camp myself I know kinda what goes on and have some sort of an idea of what a Teacher's Aide does. Ever since I've been in college, I've been wondering what I needed to do to become one of these Teacher's Aides. Now that I've found out, I'm hoping I can become one. I think being a Teacher's Aide would be tons of fun! I loved Shuttle Camp when I was in it and would love to be part of it again. It would be combining some things I love: Space and Science and of course children.

One positive thing about both jobs is the fact that they both would be beneficial for me. Since I'm working on a degree in Elementary Education, they would both be good experiences for me. Especially since I'm required in most cases to work with children it would provide excellent experience for me to put on my resume. I'm hoping that the fact that I'm an Elementary Education student will help me to stand out and be a possible candidate for the jobs. That way they know I'm planning to work with children as a career (which in my case of course wouldn't be a teacher but a school librarian) and that I'm learning to work with them right now. It would make a lot of sense for them to consider me for employment because of this. What better way for me to get more experience than by working with lots of children?

If I had to chose which of the job positions I really want and think I'd really enjoy the most, I'd probably pick the Teacher's Aide at Shuttle Camp. First of all, I really like Science and Space and would love to use my knowledge to teach students. Also, the number of children in the camp is generally smaller sized. Plus I'd get to participate in many of the activities as well. For instance, I'd be able to make my own rocket. Also, I'd get to see a lot more kids throughout the summer. Since each session lasts a week, I'd see different students each week. Which could be a good thing or not. It wouldn't be like working at the Recreation Center where I'd see most of the same kids every day throughout the summer and probably get to know them more but it still would be nice I think. Overall, I just think I'd like it a bit more at Shuttle Camp then I would the Recreation Center.

Of course though, unless I get phone calls for these positions, than I might have to work somewhere else. Somewhere where I wouldn't be working with children. I really really think it would be better if I did get to work with children in some way. My parents have been still looking at other positions for me as well. Most of the other postions would be clerical or office type jobs. Jobs where I'd just be typing or filing. I can already tell you that while it wouldn't be over strenous of a job, I'd sure tire of it quickly. My parents have also talked to other places where I'd be working with children such as a daycare or another summer camp program. The daycare would be one that is run by a lady who used to take care of me when I was in daycare. The other summer camp program would be with the Boys & Girls Club.

Now nothing against either possible position but, I really hope I don't have to resort to these positions. First off, I really don't like the Boys & Girls Club in my hometown. I don't know if the fact that my older brother worked there and hated it has anything to do with it. I'm sure it has some effect on my thoughts about that place. However, I've seen some of the types of kids who go to the Boys & Girls Club and I'm sorry but they aren't kids I'd really like to have to deal with. Also, I remember going to the Boys&Girls club once when I was younger and I didn't like it.

There really isn't anything wrong with working for the daycare. However, I think it would be a little strange for me. Having my boss be the same lady who took care of me when I was younger just would feel strange. Plus because she took care of me, she knows me! I don't think I'd be able to get used to working with her. Not because she's mean either. She's really nice and I loved her when I was younger, but just the whole she knows me and is my boss thing bothers me. Also, while I love little kids, I'm not sure I'd be able to handle them that much. I mean after having to work with 1st grade and then kindergarten last semester, I definately know I don't really want to work with the youngest kids. I didn't even really want to in the first place! So I'm hoping this job doesn't end up being an option too.

Now I know I shouldn't be picky or complain. I mean a job is a job and I do need one this summer to help pay for my expenses in the fall (namely textbooks). But still. I'd rather spend my summer working in a job that I'd enjoy more than having to resort to a job where I wouldn't be happy or would get bored of it easily.

I'm wondering if the reason that I haven't heard anything is because I'm far away. It's not like they can just call me and I can drive over for an interview or anything. However, I would think that they would do a phone interview if that was the problem. Perhaps they're also just waiting for me to finish my classes or for me to arrive back home before they conduct interviews for me. I'm still trying to stay postive though as it gets closer time for me to go home, I'm starting to get worried. I'm more concerned about the positions at the Recreation Center than the one with Shuttle Camp. I applied for the Recreation Center ones back at the beginning of this month. I'm sure it wouldn't take that long for them to decide. Of course it might since they're seasonal positions and technically the season hasn't begun (I would guess) but still I'm thinking not. I know that they will start conducting interviews for the Shuttle Camp positions next week so I'm not sure about that yet. I still have 2 days this week for them to call me (tomorrow and Friday) about being a Teacher's Aide. Hopefully they will. Or maybe they'll call next week and interview me over the phone.

But right now, I need to try and focus on finishing the semester, I have one more day of classes this week and then technically I'm done for the semester. Next week is Finals and then I'll be going home for the Summer. The countdown is on! Hopefully I'll have a job to go home to as well! *crosses fingers!* Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment