Thursday, April 16, 2009

BEDA Day 14: Chapter 13- Remember Me

I've noticed something interesting ever since I moved away from home to attend college. I've only been attending college here for a year and a half now. Yet, I'd say about half of my past professors still tend to remember me. It's not just my face they recognize but they also remember my name as well. Now you would think that being in a college class with many other students, a professor wouldn't necessarily remember someone. Unless of course the student frequently came by their office and talked with them. Yet this doesn't seem the case with me. I haven't gone by many of my professors' offices on a regular basis to discuss class assignments and such and yet they still tend to remember who I am!! Why is this? Am I just the type of person that is just someone to remember? I don't try to stand out or anything and make myself be remembered. In fact, I'm somewhat of a shy and quiet person. I do in fact sometimes make myself memorable by wearing fun hats or fun socks or by dressing crazy (Pirate Day is one). But generally, I don't like making myself stand out. I just try to be a normal student. Somehow, something about me makes my professors remember who I am.


Is it because I am different from the rest of those in my major? As I frequently mention to my professors. and to my classmates, I'm not planning to be a Teacher. I plan to be a School Librarian. A lot of people find this information fascinating when I tell them. Perhaps the fact that I'm really the only Librarian in the group, this is what makes me memorable. One of my past professors, remembers this bit of information and everytime I see him, he mentions it.


Is it because I'm one of those students who always seems to have a smile on my face? I'm just generally a cheerful person. I figure that you don't need a reason to be happy. Even though I may not be in the best mood, I sometimes still manage to have a smile on my face.


Is it because the class size for my section is so small and that makes it easier for the professors to remember me? It's true that most of my classes now are smaller now that I'm no longer taking General Education classes. Since I'm a Junior, I'm taking more of the required classes that are part of my major and are seeing many of the same people in my classes. Because, my classes are required major classes, they are a lot smaller sized. However, there are still a couple of classes where there are more students and yet my professors still tend to remember me. For instance, last semester There were 3 Lab sections of my Art in the Curriculum class being taught at the same time for Lecture. There were a lot of people combined in our lecture class. Despite that, I'm one of the ones my professor remembers. Whenever she sees me, she says hello and asks how I'm doing. Of course, since I really enjoyed this class and was just really into the projects and being creative, that could be another reason. Also, since I was in Art Lab on September 19th (International Talk Like a Pirate Day), I dressed up like a pirate. That could also be a reason.

Whatever the reason is, I guess I'm just someone people tend to remember. Even some of my old school teachers remember me and still ask about me to this day. Being away from my hometown hasn't stopped them! Of course, my hometown isn't that big to begin with and also because my dad and uncle are both pretty well know anyway which makes me pretty well known by being related.

In a sense I can understand now what Harry Potter was feeling when he went off to Hogwarts for the first time. People expect great things from me. They want me to succeed and they believe in me. It's hard though because you don't want to disappoint anyone. Yes, it's more important that I do my best and as long I'm proud of what I've done, then everyone else will be to. However, still a part of me wants to make others proud too.

At least I'm remembered for something good as opposed to being remembered for something bad. It's better to be remembered for something good. Which I guess mean's that I'm destined for greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment