Monday, April 25, 2011

BEDA Day 25: I just want to be able to see!

I'm apologizing in advance for this blog  being a bit boring ( I also apologize for the possible spelling errors that may occur) because today I'm going to talk about my eye problems. So if this is something you're not interested in reading about, you might as well leave now.

So at the beginning of last semester, I started having trouble seeing things at a distance again and I felt that my eyes were having trouble focusing. My eye doctor is El Paso but since I'm no longer living in New Mexico, I couldn't go see him. So I found one here instead. It's on the campus but unlike the regular Student Health and Wellness Center, I could actually go to the doctor without having to pay any extra fees  just for using the service. Plus they take insurance unlike the Wellness Center.  It turns out that my eyes had changed again and I needed a new prescription. At the time, I decide that my eyes weren't that bad that I needed to get new glasses right then so I decided to wait. Also I was going to try waiting until I got back home to visit the eyeglass place there, but that didn't end up happening. . My old glasses were fine for the most part but I was having some problems.  So I decided to get new glasses but now I'm still having problems. I got my new glasses on Friday and having been having some trouble seeing properly with them. Things are certainly clearer but I'm having trouble focusing on things.I was originally born cross eyed but had surgery when I  was little to correct it. Things were fine for awhile until about 7th grade, when I began having issues seeing at a distance. I went to the eye doctor and found out I was nearsighted. Things were again ok for awhile until I started learning to drive for my permit. I was having trouble focusing on the lines on the road.  I went back to my original eye doctor and they decided to put prisms in my lenses to help.

The problem is with these new glasses, the prisms seem to be off plus I’ve been getting headaches. I went back to the optical center today and explained my problem. According to them my prescription has changed a great deal from my old one but the prisms are correct However, they also kept saying something about me having Astigmatism which as far as I know, I don’t have and have never had. I do sometimes see double of things but  it isn’t because of me having astigmatism. It's  because of my eyes crossing.  At least, that’s what I know from my old eye doctor. Since, I picked up the glasses; I’ve seemed to have problems which brings me to the reason I went there today.


They told me to try and wear the new glasses for a few more days and if I’m still having problems to let them know and they’ll do a prescription recheck. I’m curious to know if my eyes have changed that much in 6 months. The last prescription I had is from 2 years ago. At my last eye exam about year and a half ago at, I didn't get a new prescription because I didn't need one. My eyes didn’t change that much and I was determined to be “stable”. But I guess I’m not anymore which is weird I think. Still though, I've never seemed to have this much trouble adjusting to new prescriptions before. Then again, I've never had this length of time between eyeglass prescriptions.  In addition to having issues focusing, I've had headaches. I'd only worn my glasses for a couple of hours this afternoon when I started getting a headache and I still have one now. They told me to just work through it so I'm doing that. It's not so bad when I look at things like the TV but when  I try to do stuff on the computer or read, I have issues focusing. If the prisms are the same, I wouldn't think I'd be having this much trouble adjusting. I'm hoping that my eyes will adjust over the next few days otherwise  I'll have to go back and hope they can figure out what's going on. I just want to be able to see clearly again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment