Tuesday, April 5, 2011

BEDA Day 5: Crafty and Knotty!

Today my main thing has been making 2 Hogwarts house bracelets for my friends that I will be seeing tomorrow. One is a Gryffindor bracelet and the other Hufflepuff. I've already made a Ravenclaw bracelet for my 3rd friend and I have one of each Hogwarts House bracelets for myself although these are the early, basically, prototype ones. The ones I've been making recently are better quality wise and color wise. The colors now resemble more closely the actual colors.

What I basically do is tie knots in a pattern to create a bracelet. I've known how to make the basic striped bracelet for some time but one day I found a book in the library and discovered an array of new, more complex patterns. This led to a search on the Internet and I found even more patterns and have even created my own. Ever since then, I've been making various bracelets out of embroidery floss. In a search on a forum, I discovered some Harry Potter patterns but they required a lot of work which I didn't really have time for then. However, that led me to think of a way to make some sort of Harry Potter bracelets. By then I'd already learned how to do alphabet patterns and decided to make Hogwarts House bracelets that way. I just use the house colors for each to make the bracelets spell out the house name.

I made one for a friend as a request after she saw mine that I'd worn while at a Wrock concert. I decided to make some for my other friends as well. I've also made one for each of the fiveawesomegirls and was planning to send them as a farewell/Christmas present but never did and still haven't (I really need to get on that). All this has made me consider selling them in an Etsy shop. People love Harry Potter related merchandise and I'm sure they'd be quite popular especially with the upcoming release of the final movie (*tear*). I'm seriously considering this especially with the fact that I have more free time.

So that's what I've been busy doing today. It's a bit sad because making the bracelets makes me think about the fact that the last movie is quickly approaching. Like I've said, I'm happy but also sad. Harry Potter is my childhood and my life practically. I was there for the book releases at midnight and for most of the movie releases. Now it all comes down to this. One final movie release at midnight. While I know that Harry Potter will continue to live on, it's hard to think of that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment