Thursday, April 28, 2011

BEDA Day 28: Family

I have an awesome family. I truly do. We all support each other and there's just so much love. Whenever we get together over the holidays and such, we have such a great time that it always makes me sad when we must go our separate ways again.  I'm mostly referring to my immediate family since my extended family includes a lot of cousins and aunts and uncles on my mom's side. My immidiate family includes my parents, my bother and sister-in-law and nephew, and my Uncle; my dad's brother. Since my Uncle lives in my hometown along with my parents, I see him quite often.
It makes me happy to spend time with everyone but especially with my brother and his family. Over holidays, we play games together. Since my brother has Rock Band and Guitar Hero on his Wii system he brings it with him when he visits and we all take turns playing. Even my Dad does and doesn't normally play games but he seems to really like playing the Wii. It's always an adventure when my brother and I are together. Sure he picks on me and such and can be annoying but in the end, we love each other so much and he keeps an eye on me. 

As far as nerdiness/geekiness goes, I guess my family is kinda like that. Well, at least I am and so is my brother and his family. Maybe I get some of mine from him but most likely not. Of course, my brother has shared some of his geekiness with me because he thinks I'll like things and most of the time he's right. While I wouldn't say that my parents are nerdy or geeky, at least not like my brother and I are , my Mom does at least like Harry Potter enough to get excited about the new movie and accompany me to the midnight release. She doesn't have to do that especially because I am old enough to go on my own but she does it because she wants to. She's also at least interested in Star Trek and Star Wars. Again, not as much as my brother is but still. As for my Dad. Well it's safe to say that he's not interested in stuff like that. He like History and Sports. In fact,  my Dad was a P.E. teacher before he retired. Now my brother and I were never the athletic type of kids that I'm sure he would've liked. Though my brother and I certainly tried. My brother ran, did soccer, and Ti Kwan Do but never was really into it. For me, the only thing  really athletic I tried was Gymnastics and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't very good at it.  My brother and I found other interests and both happened to be in the Arts. For him, he loved Theater and for me,  Piano.  My Dad supported us in our activities and came to realize that neither of us would be athletes. Even my nephew isn't into sports or things like that. He used to be in Karate but he quit and hasn't gone back since. Regardless of everything, I still love my Dad. He at least supports us and still has things to be proud of even if he doesn't understand some of the interests my brother and I have.

I'll admit it bothers me hearing things from some of my friends who have parents that aren't there for them or families that they'd rather run away from . I had friends growing up that were from divorced families and it bothered me sometimes hearing about their lives but I was a kid. It was something I was aware of but at the same time, it didn't really bother me.

I choose to go home over breaks instead of staying here partially because I don't have anyone here. I have no reason to stay. Yet, I have friends who'd rather stay put because they don't want to go home to their families. Some can't because of distance but others choose to stay put because they don't like their families.  Basically once they left home, that was it. I don't understand how anyone can feel that way. But I can respect it.   When such friends talk about how they don't like their families, it makes me uncomfortable. You can't help who your family is and I know this. I'm lucky that I have a loving family who loves and supports me in every way. I'm lucky I have an older brother who looks out for me and who I can rely on. I'm lucky I have parents who have supported me throughout my life and continue to do so and who are there  for me.  I wouldn't change my family at all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment