Thursday, April 7, 2011

BEDA Day 6: BEST DAY EVER!!

So yesterday was pretty much the BEST DAY EVER for me. (which is also partially why this post is a day late. Also, no Internet access even though I kinda did). It was awesome because I GOT TO MEET MAUREEN JOHNSON! I'm still reeling from it that's how fabulous yesterday was.

I got up yesterday morning and packed an overnight bag since I was going to stay with my friend Kate that night. Then I worked on finishing two Hogwarts House bracelets for my friends Travis and Kate. The night before, Tuesday, Maureen had tweeted that she and Emily (libraniac, the young adult services coordinator) were planning on going GoKarting between events on Wednesday. Maureen had said that if anyone wanted to join them, we could and so my friend Travis and I decided to take her up on that offer. I didn't know what time we were planning on meeting up so I made a plan to leave around 12 just in case. Luckily, Travis found out the time before I left. The planned time for the GoKarting was going to be 3 which meant that I had to leave at 12 in order to make it on time. So I packed up my laptop (just in case I got a chance to access the Internet) and my stuff. I even packed a PBJ sandwich and some Cheetos for a lunch on the way. I stopped at Walmart to pick up a couple of things like some Turkey Jerkey and a Dr. Pepper drink. I had only used up a 1/4 tank of gas but decided to fill up my car all the way just so I would have enough. Then I headed out. I was already running a few minutes late when I finally left but I thought I'd make up the time and for awhile I did. Just outside the state line I stopped at a rest stop for a few minutes to eat my lunch before continuing on. Then I hit construction. Lots of it. It was so annoying because it slowed me down. Travis text me to find out if I was gong to be there soon because he was so excited to go GoKarting. I FINALLY got there and as soon I got out of my car, we were off again. We made it in time to watch Emily and Maureen Johnson race. We even cheered Maureen on! Emily beat her the first time. After they had raced, Travis and I got to chat with them for awhile (it's amazing how I was able to talk when I was fangirling inside!) and then we all raced. I came 4th out of 4 so yeah, I sucked but I still had fun. Travis beat Maureen and got 1st, or the best time since we were going for time and not racing each other while Maureen got 2nd and Emily came in 3rd. It was so unbelievably fun! I would love to go back and this time I'm sure my time would improve. Afterwards, we parted ways. Travis and I stopped by Wendy's and got chocolate Frosty's and then we went to Pennsquare Mall and walked around awhile just to kill time while waiting to meet up with the rest of the group. We went to the Apple store and an awesome candy store while at the mall. I ended up buying a small bag of gummy candy (mini gummy bears,striped gummi bears, and some mini sour worms). Finally we headed over to a Red Robin that was a couple miles away from the Village Library where the event was going to take place at 7. We met up with our friends Erin and Kate and had a nice dinner (I had my usual Banzai Burger and Freckled lemonade). We even kinda celebrated Erin's birthday while there (even though technically her birthday is today.She got a free birthday sundae).

Finally we carpooled back to the library for the main event: MAUREEN! It was so awesome! Maureen mentioned both Travis and I and how we had all gone GoKarting. It was funny because she joked around with the fact that Travis beat her saying she wasn't going to talk to him and stuff. She also commented on my valiant effort which was nice. She told a little about herself and answered questions. I filmed the entire talk and will be uploading it to my personal YouTube channel. Afterwards, she signed books and we got to take pictures. And then that was that. We headed back to Norman and I stayed the night with my friend Kate and then drove back this morning.

All in all it was just an awesome day. I needed something like this. I just needed to get away and spend time with friends. Maureen is just awesome and I'm so glad I got to meet her. I'm still in awe of the fact that I got to go GoKarting with her! AHH!!
I'm sure this won't be the last time I get to meet her since I'm working on being a youth librarian. If I'm lucky enough, I hope to someday be able to be like Emily and get to invite authors and hang out with them. Like she's said, "I love my job!" and I hope to someday say the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment