Thursday, April 12, 2012

BEDA Day 12: Therapy overlap

Being in therapy for some time now, I've started realizing there tends to be some overlap with some of the things discussed. Some of the tips given to me and methods.

This past Tuesday for example, I was in therapy and my therapist gave me a technique to calm myself down when I'm nervous about something. This same technique was something my advisor suggested to me back in Oklahoma. While I've used the technique previously before, it's just interesting how it came up again.

Between my various counseling, I've noticed some of the same things have come up.  Well at least the counseling I've sought here. Not so much the counseling from when I was in Oklahoma.  Although, perhaps it has and I've just not really noticed.  I recently did bring up the nervous breakdown that led to my seeking couseling back in Oklahoma though. I've brought it up before but this time we might be discussing it more.

I've been in therapy since August. Ongoing counseling/therapy. Prior to this, I've been in counseling 3 times.  Twice in short-term counseling here. Once in Oklahoma. All were brought on by slightly different things. It was actually during my 2nd round of short-term  counseling here that it was suggested I needed more long term therapy which is where I currently am and have been.

Things have been touched on in all my therapies that they have begun to overlap. Things that were said in one and are now being said in another.

I've also been to a therapist outside of the University environment. When I went home over the last Winter break, I went to a therapist in my hometown a few times just to keep on track.  Again, things were said in my sessions there that are being said here.

Things are just finally starting to make sense to me. A lightbulb moment so to speak. The overlap is starting to make sense. Things are becoming clearer.  The more I hear it it seems, the more it settles with me. The more I start to believe it. Hearing it more than once and recognizing that I've heard it before. It's just amazing to me and hearing it said by so many others just solidifies it for me that I should listen.

I feel like therapy has helped me so much. Some of the things discussed at first seemed insignificant but I'm realizing that they aren't so insignificant. In fact they just are pieces of the bigger puzzle.  I feel like I've made progress. Things certainly seem much better than they used to be for me. I feel happier and more content with my life than I was.

Therapy is simply just amazing and I'm so grateful that I had the courage to seek it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment