Monday, April 30, 2012

BEDA Day 30: Nostalgia/ The End

It's the end of another BEDA (Blog Every Day April) and yet again, I'm pleased that I successfully completed the challenge. It hasn't always been easy this month but surprisingly I've been able to not only post every day this month but also manged to find some topics to discuss in my posts.

It helps that I've had a lot on my mind lately too. I hope I've been interesting to whoever has been reading. Not that it really matters. After all, I've said time and time again, that this blog is for me.

It's been nice to blog on a daily basis but I'm glad to not have to worry about it so much anymore. I'm still going to blog pretty regularly, ust not on a regular basis. I'm sure this isn't the last  time you'll see me this upcoming week though. There's a good chance that I'll blog tomorrow (since I seem to be blogging every time I've been to therapy). Tomorrow is my last session for the semester until Fall.  But then again maybe not. Who knows?

Still though I feel it'll be nice to take a bit of a break from blogging for a little bit after blogging daily for 30 days.

Moving on to today's main topic. So earlier today my mom and I took a trip to Stillwater, Oklahoma to visit the Oklahoma State University campus. I graduated from OSU in May 2010 with a Bachelor's in Elementary Education. I still go back and visit about once a semester.

It's hard to believe that it's been 2 years since I graduated and lived in Stillwater. It doesn't really seem all that long ago and yet it also has.  It's weird to go back now. Walking around campus is familiar and yet unfamiliar. It's different now.

It feels weird knowing that the last time I really was on the campus was when I was graduating. I've come back to visit several times since but it still feels weird.  Memories come back to me.Good memories. Nostalgic memories.

I go back to visit one of my professors that I had. She and I just got close. She taught my middle-level (middle school) experience and for some reason, I just really enjoyed her class and her as a professor. Then I discovered that she attended the same church I did and somehow I think that just made the connection.  I also go back to visit my ex-advisor. She and I also just had a good relationship during my time at OSU. She was the first advisor I had and she was wonderful. She still is wonderful.  During one semester, I was moved to another advisor but I didn't like the other advisor as much and she requested that I came back to her.  She's helped me so much and in so many ways. Not only is she a great advisor in terms of my academics but also in some personal things.  Certainly much better than my advisor here. I've managed to keep in contact with both my professor and my advisor and keep them updated with everything going on with me.

They both are such amazing people that sometimes I can't help but wonder how much different my life would have been if I'd never met them. I often say that if I could go back, I'd redo my degree and go for something different. But then I think, it would mean I wouldn't have met two amazing people who care about me. I don't know if I would've found such people like them.

Walking into Willard Hall which is the College of Education building, just brought back memories of my time there. Brought back all the hours spent in classes within the building and some of the professors I had. I even saw another one of my professors while we were there.

My mom and I even went by the pond behind the building; Theta Pond. I remember walking by this pond and watching the ducks. Just remembering my life there in Stillwater, while watching the mama duck and her little ducklings today.  All day really was just full of nostalgia and memories. Memories of walking through the Student Union and across campus. The Union has changed and looks different. 2 years and things have changed. I've changed too.

For lunch, we went to Hideaway pizza. A pizza place that my cousin first took my parents and I too and which we all fell in love with. Memories... Afterwards, my mom and I went by St. John University parish. The parish I went to while I attended the university. A church lady I got to know and also keep in touch with well was there and we talked with her for awhile.  Memories of Sunday evening masses followed by a dinner for the students that she helped out with. Memories of some of the people I got to know and become friends with. Things that I miss now.

Finally, a quick trip to Eskimo Joe's to pick up the new College of Education Teacher shirt, downtown to the Goodwill Thrift Store to kill some time, and a stop at Braum's for a Banana Split before heading back out and back here to Denton. All these memories of a life I once had. Almost dreamlike.

All these  people that care about me. A place where I was truly happy. A place that holds so many memories for me and that I'll always love. A nostalgic place. A place that sometimes I wish I could go back to. A place where, as my mom pointed out, my heart belongs.

My heart does belong at OSU. I was happier there. I had friends there. I was part of something there. I was part of the university more. I feel more loyalty toward it than I do to my current school and will always feel that way.

I fell in love with OSU from the beginning and now it holds so many fond memories, so many people I care about and who care about me are part of the university. It's become such a part of me that I just simply can't let it go.

I'm grateful for all the wonderful memories the university gave to me and 'm very proud to be an OSU alumnus.  ORANGE POWER FOREVER!

*Final note: I'm not sure if I'll do BEDA again regardless if it's in August or April. I feel like it's already been done so much that it's not exactly a challenge for me anymore. It's pretty much lost it's meaning. It was nice while it lasted but I think I won't do it anymore. I'm not saying I won't blog anymore during those months. I'm just not sure I'd want to the the whole month anymore. Too much to take on sometimes.  Not typically very excited. Plus the whole quality versus quantity thing. It's not doing much for me anymore. Besides, I've started blogging again pretty regularly on my own. I don't really need to be forced to do it regularly anymore.*

No comments:

Post a Comment