Monday, April 2, 2012

BEDA Day 2: BEDA 2012/ Library Practicum/ etc.

So I guess I'm going to attempt to participate in Blog EveryDay April this year. Didn't exactly plan on it. But since I did post a blog post yesterday, I guess it kinda set me up. I don't exactly have anything terribly exciting to talk about tonight but I as I'm attempting to do BEDA, I figured I'd try to come up with something.

 So as of tonight, well, actually Saturday if I count some volunteer hours with another library which I was told I could could. However, if I don't count those hours then tonight makes it official. Anyways, I have officially completed the 120 hours required for my Practicum! I'm so glad to finally be done with the hours. I mean I'm still not technically done with my Practicum since I still have to actually do the Storytime that I had to plan. That actually won't happen until about the 2nd to last week of this month though. Already I'm nervous about it but it has to be done.

I also have one more final paper for the course part of my Practicum to finish. In fact I could probably include some of this post within the final paper since I'm going to cover some of my Practicum in it.

My library practicum is at the North Branch library of  a 3 branch library system. I've been working with the Youth Services librarians; teen and children.  Overall my practicum has been enjoyable. It's certainly kept me busy. In fact for about the last 3 weeks, I've spent so much time at the library that I've hardly had much time to do anything else. During my practicum, I've gotten a good look into a variety of the areas that make up the library and helped out with a variety of things. I've worked the reference desk; learned what goes on in Technical Services and helped out with RFID tagging (a new system) and inventory. I've visited the other library branches to observe their children programming such as Mother Goose Time and Storytimes; programs that we have at the North Branch. I've even seen a program we don't have at our particular branch, Toddler Time. I've seen what Special Collections/Genealogy is like at the Central branch and even helped out a little. 
I've even helped with shelving materials. Really the only area I haven't experienced is the Circulation desk and that's simply because I've already had some experience in that area.

Since I've worked in a public library system before, I'm pretty familiar with the library environment already. That's not to say that I know everything that's going on. I'm still learning things and will  continue to do so.

The most interesting thing I've found is how all the Children's/Youth Service Librarians are different. They all have different styles of doing things. Observing all the Storytimes at the different branches really makes the differences stand out more.  I even have my preferences in which librarians I enjoy more than the others. For instance, I think I prefer the librarian at the Central branch simply because I knew her first but I also like the librarians at North branch too. South branch is different for me. I like the librarian there but I don't know if it's simply because I haven't spent as much time getting to know her that I feel differently about her.  It's also a similar case with the library assistants and some of the staff. I feel like because I know the library assistants more at the other 2 branches, the assistant at South seems unfamiliar to me. In fact, the assistant seems to me to not be as exciting as the others.  Also, I know that we were sent to just observe the Storytimes (and Toddler Time at the Central branch at the time), but for some reason I felt more welcomed at the Central branch's programs than at South branch. I felt more like a participant at Central than South. It's all just interesting.

Now that it's coming to an end, I can't help but be relieved. Don't get me wrong. I've certainly enjoyed my Practicum but I'm a bit ready for a break. Although at the same time, I worry about what I'll be doing during the time I would normally be at the library.  As it is right now, I already have quite a bit of free time in which I don't do much of anything. I have another class, a cataloging class, and I do have work to get done but I procrastinate on it since technically I do have time.  In fact most of my days have been spent watching TV, spending time on the Internet, or reading books or even taking afternoon naps. I don't exactly go anywhere simply because I don't have a lot of places to go. At least not places that don't involve me spending money. The library is also out since I already spend enough time at one (as much as I love libraries,it's nice to have a break).

I don't have to worry about filling my time too much  at least not this semester. I'm still going to be helping out at the library until at least the end of the month. Then I have company coming down for the Arts&Jazz festival that goes on here and then to stay with me for a little while before going home for the summer.

Hopefully fall semester I'll be able to continue helping out when they need it. I'm only going to be taking one class in the fall. I'll also be taking my final examination; Capstone. Scary but exciting at the same time. Hard to believe it's almost over.  These last couple of years have gone by rather quickly.  Soon I'll be an officially Youth Services librarian (or at least I'll have my degree that makes me one).

Sorry this blog post turned out to be rather long. Hopefully tomorrow's post and the rest won't be. Not making any promises though.

BEDA 2012 is off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment