Sunday, April 8, 2012

BEDA Day 8: Quiet Easter

Happy Easter everyone! (not that anyone really reads this blog but nonetheless).  My Easter this year was relatively quiet compared to years before. I didn't dye any eggs this year. I didn't exactly get an Easter Basket from my parents (actually I haven't in some time and I miss that). I got a card though and some money to buy a few treats. I did that: a dozen mini Reese's Peanut Butter eggs, a regular sized Reese's egg, and a thing of pink Peeps.  I also got another Easter card from a family friend/godmother back in New Mexico.

I didn't even go to Easter mass this year. Not the Vigil service last night nor the masses this morning. I just didn't really want to go. I know I should have but I didn't. I just don't really feel like a part of the church here so much. It's weird. I felt like I was part of the church back in Stillwater more than here and same back home of course.  Here the church is great and I like it but I just don't feel a part of it.

There are other reasons that I didn't go. One reason is that last night was a Bilingual  service. I went last year and it was interesting but I also didn't exactly like it. Well my brain didn't at least. The switching back and forth between Spanish and English just didn't sit well with my brain. The readings, songs, and even some of the prayers. It just messed with my brain. I mean I'm used to hearing English and Spanish and hearing people switching between the two back home. For some reason though, it just messed with my brain to where I didn't like it.  I guess it's just because I'm still learning the language myself and didn't know it well enough to know what was going on despite reading the English version.

There's also the fact that the Easter Vigil service normally is very long because in addition to the regular service, there's more readings plus it's also when we welcome new members into the church. This includes adults and children getting baptized, confirmed, and/or receiving their First Communion.  Last year there was a huge bunch of people and it took a looooooong  time to welcome them. The mass last night was at 8:30PM which meant I would have gotten home really late. At least around 10:30PM probably.   In addition, I would have had to have gotten to the church at least by 6:30 or 7 at the latest to get a fairly decent sit. Still though I wouldn't have been able to get a sit in the section I normally sit in. I sit in the middle section which is closest to the entrance. Last  year all those seats were reserved for the family and those being accepted into the church community. I had to sit on the far sides which I don't like at all.  I'm sure it would have been the same this year.

I realize it's a bigger city and that would mean more people being accepted into the church. However, I'm not used to a big group of people. The more people, the longer it takes and the longer the mass is.

So why didn't I just go this morning. Simple. It's Easter Sunday. EVERYONE (or almost everyone) goes on Easter Sunday. It's what you do. Get up early, do the easter egg/basket thing (if you have kids), dress in new fancy Easter outfits, go to church, then have brunch, and maybe a big dinner later or something. At least I'd assume that's mostly how that works. I've never gone to mass on Easter Sunday as far I as I know.  But it's mostly when everyone else goes. My family has always gone to the Vigil mass for the simple reason that we don't want to get up early on Easter just to go to mass.

I mean we'd get up early because of the Easter Bunny but we enjoyed our mornings because we didn't have to be up early. The same reason we go to the Christmas Eve service.

So I'm not used to going on Easter mornings plus again there's the fact that I'd be dealing with too many people. There would just be way too many people at the Sunday mass so again I'd have to arrive really early.

Also I don't exactly have a nice new  Easter outfit to wear. I didn't buy one this year. I didn't even get a new top like I did last year. I just didn't get anything like that. I don't really have anything nice to wear for an Easter Sunday mass. For some reason, it seems like for Easter and Christmas masses, everyone dresses up more than usual. I mean people normally dress nicer for a Sunday mass (versus a Saturday mass which is more casual) but for holidays it's even more so.

I have nice clothes but they aren't dressy dressy. Most of my clothes are business casual and work for my practicum but I wouldn't necessarily wear them for an Easter Sunday mass when everyone else is quite dressed up.  Not that I dress up much for church anyways (unless it's a holiday service). I'm just not a dressy type of person. I like to be comfortable.

So I didn't go to Mass this year and I'll admit that I feel bad about it but at the same time not too bad. My parents didn't go either but they had a family commitment somewhere else.

Truth be told it doesn't even feel much like Easter to me. I didn't do anything special and plus today it was actually rainy and stormy. At least in the morning it was. It cleared up some this afternoon.  Again I didn't dye any Easter eggs this year. I don't really know why. I just didn't seem to feel like it.

The only special thing I've really done is made an Easter meal: Ham slices, green beans with red potatoes, mashed potatoes, and sparkling red grape juice.  It's not a fabulous meal but it's something. I'm also thinking about going out for frozen yogurt later on. 

I didn't get an Easter basket or an Easter bunny and I'm not with my family. Although I haven't been for some time when it's been Easter.  I have to keep telling myself it's Easter because it feels almost like a regular Sunday for me.

Anyways, I still had a pretty nice Easter even if it was pretty uneventful. Hope everyone else had a nice day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment