Saturday, April 14, 2012

BEDA Day 14: Plans for the (not too faraway) Future

In December, I have plans to graduate with my Master's degree in Library Science with an emphasis in Youth Librarianship.  The plans after that are unknown other than  I'll be looking for some sort of job.

Graduation will be here before I know it. In fact, I really only have my Capstone remaining before I'm officially done. I've finished all my Practicum hours already and just now have to finish up the final paper and be evaluated. After the summer course I'm planning to take, I'll have enough credit hours. I've already received a copy of my Master's degree plan.

In addition to Capstone (final examinations), I'm taking one other course just to make sure I have more than enough hours to graduate. Since I didn't recieve the required grade in my School Library course (I got a C. I needed at least a B for it to count), I had to pick up another course. I was already planning to take a summer course which would give me the number of required hours for my degree.More than enough in fact.   Even without passing the School Library class, I have enough credit hours. But I just wanted to be on the safe side and therefore I decided to take another course in the Fall.

There's really not much left for me to finish off. I'm going to be graduating with a Master's. Scary and exciting. But that also means that I'm going to be looking for employment now. I'm actually going to be in the real world soon. Working. I'm not entirely sure I'm ready for that. On the one hand I am ready to be done with school for the time being but working? I'm not entirely sure.

So I'm graduating in December and will be looking for a job. However, I highly doubt that I'll be getting a job that soon after graduation. Sure I'll start looking and everything but that soon? And with the economy slowly picking back up, the outlook is better but only just.  There still aren't a whole lot of job opportunities.

So what's next? Well I really don't know. I'll be looking for a job. Hopefully getting interviewed and such. But what else? It's going to be a fairly lengthy process I'm sure. I'm sure I'll be looking for a few months. Even if I start looking before I graduate, I'm sure I won't have much luck. The good thing is that I'm on a listserv for my college and they post job opportunities so that helps.

In the meantime though, I'm not sure what I'll be doing. Until I find a job I mean. I have my apartment here in Denton but will be returning home after Graduation for the holidays.

I was supposed to be heading to Walt Disney World as my graduation present but that might not be happening anymore.  For one thing, there are plans for all of us to head to DisneyLand in August. I wouldn't be a long trip like WDW would be but still. There's the issue of expense. It's just too soon between. Plus with me graduating and if family wants to come to the ceremony. It's just all crazy.

Then there's the main issue of me moving back home while I look for a job. My parents think it would better for me to move home. Do the same thing again that we did in Oklahoma. Pack up my apartment and move everything into storage until I find a job and a place to live. They don't see the point in paying for an empty apartment if I'm not going to be coming back.

Yet, I don't see why I shouldn't come back while I'm looking for a job.  I mean, logically,it would make sense to keep living in my apartment here in Denton rather than packing up and moving back home again. Especially if I find a job in Texas. Wouldn't it make more sense for me to stay put rather than repeat what happened in Oklahoma? 

While, I still don't like it here, I'd rather at least have some place to stay that wasn't home. I mean I love home and being with my family but I don't want to go through everything again. Yes, I realize it would probably save money but still.

Staying put for me would work out better I think.  In Oklahoma, I didn't have that choice. I had to move out. I had to look for a new graduate school since there was no way I was getting into the program at  Oklahoma State. However, this is different. This time, it's a job that I'm looking for.  It might take awhile but still, I think staying put; continuing to live here in Denton in the meantime is the best option for me.

Also it's like someone asked me on Tumblr. Do I want to move once or move twice? I really don't want to go through all the trouble to move into storage again. I'd rather just move once and be done with it.  I'd rather only move once.

No comments:

Post a Comment